Except where noted, all text and photographs Copyright © 2015 Stanley D. Williams. All Rights Reserved.

Books I read during my journey from Evangelicalism to Roman Catholicism can be found here:
Recommended Books on Catholicism and Christianity.

Tuesday, December 1, 1987

Greenville College


This was Hogue Hall, Greenville College's main administration building and location of both the WGRN radio station (windows on the 2nd floor, far right) and the Physic Lab (on the first floor below WGRN (the entire first floor right of the tower, mostly hidden by the redbud branch). This picture which I found on Flickr was taken in 2008 by JUCO. The building looked the same in the 1960s, but has since be raised.


My 1965 haircut c/o G.C. sophomores. Yes, I'm popping pills...in this case red M&M's. The only picture I have of the Warner Sallman Jesus Pilot painting on a woodcut, which I earned as a child memorizing scripture at Ferndale Free Methodist, is on the wall at left. the picture was an inspiration to me throughout the years and if I still had it, it would have a prominent place in my office.


New Christy Minstrels 1966, performing in GC's Joy Hall. I was more into folk singing than my studies, and marketing this group's appearance on campus allowed me to flunk out of Calculus. I believe this is Barry McGuire in the foreground, who I encountered a few years later on an album cover held by Dennis Stacey.


Too bad this is out of focus. It's the only picture I have of my senior roommate Richard Marcellus who, is sitting at the controls of WGRN where I spent way more hours than I should have. You can see the turntables behind him on the left and right..."digital" was something we only dreamed about back then. After he got back form Vietnam, where he was sure he would be political fodder for the killing fields, he earned his MA in Mathematics from the Univ. of Michigan in 1974, and a PhD in Industrial and Operations Engineering, also from Univ. of Michigan. He then led a long teaching career at University of Illinois at Chicago and Northern Illinois University. (I was often in Ann Arbor during that time and never knew he was there as well at the time)


While working at WGRN I produced a story series called Moody's Musings, featuring Professor James Moody (1037-2017) telling stories that we were never sure how much of them were true. It seemed Moody always seemed to have an accidental ancestor that played a key role in dramatic turn of historical events.  In the picture above, he sits in his famous Lake Superior State Univesity office that was an extension of his classroom surrounded by 14,000 books and artifacts from his world travels. He died after a long battle with cancer at the age of 80. "Some people have children," he said. "I have books."


In the book I recount the "Greenville Revolution" led by missionary kid and student body president, Glen Synder. This, of course was taken years later after a Sunday dinner at a Birmingham Cafe that was a popular for the Ferndale Free Methodist church attendees, which Glen I believes still attends. (L-R) Pam Williams, Hope (Willobee) Winke, Glen Synder and wife who are both M.D.'s in the Detroit area and active in medical missionary efforts. 


No comments:

Post a Comment